Can you believe it’s October already?! I feel like I barely blinked and September had disappeared. October always used to be my favorite month – I absolutely loved fall when I was growing up. Now, I struggle a bit with the anticipation of a long Minnesota winter and a whole lot of COLD 🙂 But all in all, fall is still just as gorgeous and magical to me as it was years ago.
One of the most wonderful facets of autumn is the food! Something about this windy, gorgeous season begs for food with warmth, rich tones and flavors, and hearty textures. That’s what I found myself looking for the other day when I decided to create this peach blackberry crisp. The vanilla adds an extra nice depth to the dessert. I’d love to say that this crisp pairs well with ice cream, and I’m sure it does, but honestly we just ate it warm with no add-ons. It’s that good. 🙂
2-3 ripe peaches
1 cup blackberries (I used one smallish package)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup butter, very soft
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
generous 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
dash of salt
ice cream or whipped topping, optional
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Dice peaches. In small bowl, combine peaches with blackberries and vanilla (you can even cut up the blackberries a bit if desired).
- Spread peach-blackberry mixture in bottom of 9×9 pan.
- In another small bowl, combine flour, oats, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Sprinkle entire oats mixture over fruit mixture in pan.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes. Enjoy!!
What are your favorite autumn desserts? Do you like to make crisps and crumbles? 🙂