One of the worst things to do (I suppose both financially and health-wise) is to go grocery shopping when you’re hungry. And that’s something I do more often than I’d like to admit. 🙂 Luckily, my husband is usually with me and by this point in our marriage, he knows the signs of a “wilting Bee” and he knows that when I start to melt out of hunger, I get a lot less tied to our grocery list. Grab-and-go, anyone? 😉
But we’ve worked to combat impulse buys in the food category, and partly what helps with that is having meal ideas in our back pocket. The recipe I’m sharing with you today is a frequent go-to meal for us, especially on nights when we just want something a little lighter (something less like grilling a hamburger). You can use any kind of chicken you want – we grab canned because it’s speedy and convenient. The apple cider vinegar is what gives this meal a little extra depth with its bright flavor! Enjoy!
2 cans canned chicken
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Apple cider vinegar
Whole wheat pita pockets
What to Do:
1. Drain canned chicken. Place that in a medium bowl.
2. Dice the avocados and cut the tomatoes in half. Toss those in the bowl with the chicken.
3. Add a good squeeze of mayonnaise (about 4 tablespoons) and a couple shakes of salt and pepper (about 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon each).
4. Add a small splash (only a tablespoon or so) of apple cider vinegar. Air on the side of less rather than more with this ingredient.
5. Use a fork to thoroughly incorporate all ingredients, then spoon into pita pockets and enjoy!
Makes about 4 pita pockets (or a light supper for 2!).
What meals do you rely on when you’re hungry and need a short grocery list? I’d love to hear your quick meal ideas!